Thursday, November 10, 2011

Rafa

May I just start by saying that there are a LOT of dogs in Seattle?  Since I moved to the city, I have noticed a million.  It could be because I have been looking at adopting a dog for awhile and every animal with four legs that wasn't a cat sparked my immediate interest.  Even still, I think there are a lot of dogs around here.  It's a wonderful thing.  Seeing families walking their dogs with a cup of coffee in the morning (and sometimes a cigarette but I try to focus purely on the dogs) is a calming feeling.  It's hard to describe why that makes me smile inside, but it surely does.

For several weeks, I have been searching for rescued dogs who are homeless.  I cannot tell you how many sites made me say "ooohhhh my goshhhhh" in a tone that was so overjoyed and close to annoying.  Other sites caused tears to trickle down my cheeks as I read the sob story that the adoption agencies so craftily create for suckers like me.  "He was found limping down I-5 covered in tar and whimpering for food and just needs someone who will love him"??

Despite the stories, I had a lot to think about...

I knew that adopting a dog would undoubtedly come with plenty of additional responsibility.  I knew that adopting a dog would cost money.  I knew that adopting a dog would mean he might pee on the chair or shed everywhere.  I knew that adopting a dog would make it difficult to travel for long periods of time.  I knew that adopting a dog would require trips to the vet. I knew that adopting a dog would have to be okay with my cousin since we are roommates.  I knew that adopting a dog would mean I'd have him for years and years and years.

I knew that adopting a dog was what the dog needed.  It's what I needed.

Since I am unable to make it back home for the holidays, I decided not to wait until after they passed to adopt a dog.  My jobs would allow me to walk home on breaks to care for the dog and take him out (they just would not allow me to go home for Christmas.  Pick your battles...).  Once I have ideas spinning through my mind, it's hard to let go of them (hence, running the Chicago marathon because why not?).  I found a dog who had been in a kennel for awhile now.  His family moved from California and could not find a home for themselves, let alone their dog.  So he was rescued and has been stuck without a normal friend or family.  The picture showed the dog, a shepherd mix, sitting in the grass.  Millions of ideas ran through my head.  I'll tell you three of them: First, we could RUN together!  Second, his colors are beautiful.  Third, it might be love at first sight.

Before I knew it, I had filled out the adoption sheet.  Less than a week later he was delivered to me by the rescue organization.

Since I was utterly opposed to keeping his name Rex, I named him Rafa after Rafael Nadal, obviously.  I had no idea how perfect that name would suit him when he showed up with a Nike swoosh bandana on his head!  He quickly peed on the chair in the apartment (that's the only time!!) immediately when he arrived.  Rafa was such a good dog the first night.  He hung out with Emily and I, watched a movie and just relaxed.  I was in heaven.  He probably was, too.  At night we put him in the crate unsure of how he would react.  He only whimpered for about 10 minutes before retiring for the rest of the evening.  Rafa has yet to bark.  He has yet to disappoint.

Rafa has decided to follow me everywhere in the apartment.  "Rafa, I'm just going to the bathroom!"  He whimpers when Emily or I close a door for a minute.  He likes to give me kisses and jump on my legs.  He loves going outside and peeing on flower pots and rocks.  He likes to stretch his body out beside me as I write blog posts.
In just two days, my life has drastically changed for the absolute best.  I think about Rafa throughout the work day and look forward to coming home on my break to run around with him.  He is so funny.  I constantly wonder what he is thinking.  I wish I could sum up how I am thinking so that he knows how lucky I am to have him in my life.  Adopting a dog is not just about helping the dog.  It's about helping yourself.  Rafa has already become my dearest friend.  He truly is more than just one additional dog in Seattle.

          Best,
                 Anne

Be thankful challenge:  I know I missed yesterday.  I did not have a chance to post so today, I am thankful for phone calls with my parents and DVR.

2 comments:

Tess said...

Rafa is SO CUTE! I'm so happy that you were able to rescue him. He seems like a great dog, and he is very lucky to have you.

Melissa said...

Rescue dogs are the best!! Can't wait to meet little Rafa and shower him with hugs and doggie presents.