Sunday, November 6, 2011

Lucky ones

I cannot count how many nights I've sat at my computer researching different countries.  The countries that somehow draw me in without me really having an explanation for why they entice me.  After all, these countries are ones I have never visited.  The only country I have visited outside of the U.S. was one that simply required driving 20 minutes to reach the border and traveling a little further to reach Vancouver, Whistler, and Victoria, BC.  Oh excuse me, this was AD.  I love Canada.  Vancouver is a city that I could see myself living in.  It's clean, modern, busy, and full of culture.  Whistler is breathtaking.  I went there when it was winter and obviously didn't ski or snowboard since I don't know how, but I'd love to check it out in the summer.  The convenience is extremely nice and I know I'll find myself back in Whistler again.  Victoria seems like a European country, not that I've ever been, with its architecture and quaintness.  I would love to spend more time there as well.  I know Canada is massive and I have only seen those areas, but I've heard good things about the rest of the areas, too!

Since my college career was scattered, the timing and class expectations were specific by the time I reached Washington.  That being said (and sad), studying abroad would not work if I wanted to graduate at a normal time.  Once that realization set in, I knew I had to just continue on because I had my own studying adventure across the country. While I will never feel let down for my school adventures in Washington, I did always wish I could have studied abroad.  So I made sure to live vicariously through friends who were doing such wonderful things in other countries.  I looked at pictures and heard the incredible stories.  I was so excited for them, the lucky ones.

The point is, just because I didn't study abroad in college, it does not mean that I will be stapled to the U.S. forever and ever, amen.  No, no.  It just means that I'll keep my feet on the ground until I am ready and able to afford moving to Dubrovnik, Croatia.  That's all.

        Najboli,
                  Anne

Be thankful challenge: I'm thankful for an extra hour of much needed sleep!

No comments: