Saturday, September 26, 2009

These guys know what they're talking about...

Since I have so many thoughts before the big day tomorrow, I thought I'd simply post a few quotes about marathons with my thoughts. Surely I will have a nice, informative post regarding the experience tomorrow (maybe Monday if I simply cannot move a single muscle) but until then, I'll prepare with some wise words.

"Marathon running is a terrible experience: monotonous, heavy, and exhausting."
Veikko Karvonen, 1954 European and Boston Marathon Champ
-Thanks, Veikko. It must be awful to run such fast miles and be done within 2 and half hours or so.

"There is the truth about the marathon and very few of you have written the truth. Even if I explain to you, you'll never understand it, you're outside of it."
Douglas Wakiihuri speaking to journalists

-I can't wait to find out the truth!

"I always loved running...it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs."
Jesse Owens

-This could be the best quote I've read so far. I have sought many "new sights just on the strength of [my] feet" and some have been beautiful, some might not have been as nice. Either way, I found out on my own two feet. It's a whole new ball game while running than driving around to scope out new places. Thrilling, I must say!

"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."
Ann Trason

-I understand.

"I cannot have survival as my only goal. That would be too boring. My goal is to come back in my best running form. It is good for me to have that goal; it will help me."
Ludmila Engquist (Olympic champion hurdler facing cancer and chemotherapy)

-Simply touching. Nothing else is more inspiring at this point.

"We can't all be heroes because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."
Will Rogers

-Those that clap and cheer are more than appreciated. Who else would make me want to continue?

"The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."
Robert Frost

-Robert Frost knows what he is talking about because in another case, he did come to two paths in the wood and ingeniously "took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." I will be running through some woody areas and will be thinking of Mr. Frost's wise poetic words. I'm sure he ran a bit in his day. Perhaps a head start on the untraveled path...



I will keep these in mind tomorrow. Until then, I better eat some pasta!

Best,
Anne

1 comment:

Lisae said...

i hope you can hear me cheering and clapping for you all the way from california! yayyyyyyy anne!