Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Countdown Conundrum

I have a countdown problem. Each day I find myself anxiously scribbling down events or important dates to remember and look forward to in the upcoming weeks or months. I'd like to consider myself a countdown queen but they don't have royal titles for such character traits. There is nothing that excites me more than counting down the days until a television show, visit with a friend or family member, special day, marathon (don't worry, the countdown won't happen again for that one), breaks from school, and so much more! Although I am a countdown connoisseur, it does not mean that I don't doubt my passion for a ticking clock. I know there is a popular saying telling people to live for today and not look back and not look forward. That is not the actual phrase but you understand what I'm talking about. If I'm always counting down the days until something big happens in the next week or two, what am I doing today? I realize the skeptics point of view but am going to have to ask why I would countdown the days until I sat around, waited for the rain to slow down, walked outside, then ran to the grocery store? Nothing about that has the slightest ounce of exciting anticipation. I cannot even imagine picking up my calendar and counting out 3 days until I have a super boring day! My point would simply be that I find nothing wrong with always having something to look forward to and making it through days with that in the back of your head. I thoroughly enjoy filling my calendar with plans throughout the months so that I can cheerfully cross off the days until I reach the date. Never fear folks, I still have a fulfilled day to day life and enjoy every single day, not just the ones I look forward to. I have also been known to count the days until I have a day off or a day to just relax. Those are equally as significant as the days I eagerly await seeing a loved one. I live for a good countdown because they provide landmarks in a person's life. Countdowns change so frequently that everything is always fresh and new. As a countdown crony, I must condone such acceptable antics. If it helps the day pass a little faster, there is no harm in facing the future. Although the future possesses uncertainty, you can be certain of the joy a countdown will bring you. My current countdown: 15 minutes until I take the spaghetti squash out of the oven. See? "The Joy of Cooking"...........

See most of you in 3 months!

Best,
Anne

No comments: