Thursday, September 17, 2009

Phew!

I was hit with a curve ball today. As I have been planning for an all-day orientation (Yes, another orientation) on Saturday I received an e-mail today about another job. First of all, why didn't anyone want to hire me for the past four months and now the Western Washington dining program and Rec Center are both calling out for a superb individual like myself to work for their team. I am only ONE person, folks! Well, as you can imagine, I had to pick a side. As absolutely thrilled as I was to be able to join the dining team at the Market and attend that exhilarating orientation, I have chosen to go with the Rec Center job. My IDEAL job at the Rec Center would have been working the front desk but I am a WWU rookie so I will settle with what I was given: Officiating volleyball games and possibly being a scorekeeper for flag football. What I am most worried about is that my dad will show up on Wednesday with his Officials Quarterly magazine, an extra black and white striped shirt, and his rule book in hopes of filling my head with pointers on how to ref. He is pretty much a pro at the job now so he may want to share his words of wisdom. I'd love to hear them, but I haven't seen him ref before, so how do I know the teams don't loathe his skills? Just kidding. Maybe. Either way, I'm delighted with the opportunity. I'll go out on a limb and say that I will probably have more fun working while watching sports and keeping score than washing dishes and serving people sandwiches. Unfortunately, with a job and an especially demanding school schedule, I will not have much empty time. I will try to set aside a few moments to get a blog post in nearly every day though because surely with the craziness I will have some entertaining stories to share.

Best,
Anne

No comments: