Sunday, September 6, 2009

Free Fallin'


Whatcom Falls Park in Bellingham, WA taken by George and Rhonda Ostertag


As I headed for the coffee shop this morning I noticed something different. The air that I have been breathing in for nearly four months now had changed. Crisp, cool and refreshing. Ladies and gentlemen, Fall is upon us! The trees are beginning to change into their usual reds, oranges and yellows and I could not be more thrilled. Although the Western Washington Vikings football team is non-existent, I am looking forward to the new season of college football. That is another sure-fire sign that Fall is here! There is nothing worse than being miserably warm during some of the hottest summer days. Oh wait, there is something worse. Freezing during the bitter winter takes the cake. (It's reassuring to know that I will be spending the frost-bitingly frightful February away from the midwest this year) It is only natural that Cooking Light chose to inform me of the best Fall produce on this very exceptional day. Keep your eyes peeled (and your fruits and veggies!) for seasonal sweet potatoes, mushrooms, grapes, cranberries, pumpkins, leeks, butternut squash, fennel, walnuts, quince (If you don't know what quince is, i.e. me, it is simply a "romantically fragrant fruit that's equally at home in sweet and savory preparations". Well, how very special! In addition, "scholars speculate that quinces may have been the true forbidden fruit". Whoa! This changes all of my beliefs...) and last but very not least in this list of produce are the beets. I know it's a long list. Perhaps an acronym would help you remember at your local grocery store? Alright. Let's try: S.M.G.C.B.F.P.W.Q.B.L. Is that any easy acronym for you? Just use this trick; Some Meals Grow Casually But Farmers Pick With Quite Beautiful Love. Yes, I did just spend five minutes making that up....at least I had my brain working! On the topic of beets, Dwight Schrute and his hilarious gang of office employees will be back in no time for the season premiere of The Office. In addition to the football on tv, the best sitcoms are beginning their seasons this Fall! Most of them begin in September with a few exceptions. Either way, I'm ready to find out all the happenings at 30 Rockefeller Center and Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Get out the sweaters and prepare for another Fall bursting with cool weather, emulous football, and delicious meals on crisp autumn evenings.

Best,
Anne

No comments: