Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012

Happy New Year, friends!

I hope you all had a beautiful 2011.  So many things happened in 2011!  Well, I mean, I would hope so if there are 365 days to fill.  Last year I made a list of goals to complete. Here they are:


-Drink more water -You bet!
-Sleep more-Ehhh. Nope. I definitely did not. 
-Eat more spinach-Yup! Yum.
-See my sister get married-Perhaps one of my favorite goals to complete! I will remember that excitement forever. I'm smiling at the thought of it all. 
-Not pass out when I give my maid of honor speech-BARELY completed this. 
-Travel often-I traveled home. I went on a road trip down the coast. 
-Work harder-Daily. 
-Graduate-Au revoir, WWU! 
-Run a race-I ran, like, 2 marathons...
-Volunteer more-Cancer Education Center for the win. 
-Drive less-Yes! Living in Seattle requires less driving. I guess the road trip to California didn't help, but I think I still drive less. And the road trip was worth it, okay?
-Change the world-Not yet...

So not bad, huh?  I set some good goals that can be used time and time again.  I haven't thought about resolutions or goals, but I have thought about the new year. 

I love the new year. I find it so beautiful that for that brief moment in time, everyone is so hopeful.  You can see the optimism in their eyes and you can hear the inspiration in their thoughts.  A new year requires new experiences.  There is no way around it.  I'm so grateful that we can start a new year with a new outlook and a sense of excitement.  We are all on the same page and though each year brings about different moments of happiness, sadness, excitement, and fear, we will get through everything.  There are no alternatives...at least in my book.  I'm a few chapters into my book and I certainly do not have all the answers but I'm hopeful for a good ending when I do reach that point. 

Seattle was 50 degrees today.  I'm always the one who cannot get over gorgeous days.  After lounging on the couch with Rafa, I decided to walk to the sculpture park and watch the sunset. I was left with my thoughts and my mind was running crazy today.  Watching the sunset, the walkers, the runners, the bikers, the picture takers, and the dogs made me feel entirely peaceful.  I was so happy being there and content with all of my surroundings.  I was hopeful.  I am hopeful. 

As you all start a new year, remember to remain hopeful.  Each day will bring new ideas, new experiences, new laughs, new smiles, new tears, new problems, new answers, and some day they will turn old.  It happens with each year.  2011 has come to a close, and though it was a wonderful year, we will never have moments of 2011 that are new.  Those moments will happen now. They will happen tomorrow. They will happen for the rest of 2012.  Please enjoy this year and welcome every moment with open arms.  Stay happy and healthy.  Hug your family and friends every single chance you can.  Hugging should be easy if your arms are already open. 







        Best, 
               Anne

No comments: