Sunday, January 30, 2011

Oh, we're halfway there!

13 miles down, 13 miles to go! Doesn't seem like that many, but man oh man is it! I woke up at 7 am today and could not have been more pleased. I knew it'd be a sunny day out so clearly I was more excited than if it was pouring. It was brisk this morning but my fingers eventually thawed. Little victories. 
 While running, I contemplated taking the ferry to Alaska. I truly weighed the pros and cons. Let's just say school was not in the cons list. 
 Clear enough to see the mountains! Those are the best days. I never want to forget they are over there. I never want to regret not appreciating them enough either. 
I tried to smile before heading back for the second 6.5. This smile has a lot everything to do with today's dedication. 
 Running in Fairhaven is extremely peaceful. I love passing the coffee shops and breakfast places while peering through the glass and thinking about what they're eating and if they could spare some oatmeal for me they are having a lovely Sunday. 
Just like that, I made it home. 

Today's Dedication: Teresa
The reason I was smiling while running was because of this girl. I'm dedicating my 13 mile run to my dear friend, Teresa. She is one of the most genuine human beings I know with the most enjoyable personality. Whenever I think of Teresa, I think of smiles. She always smiles and that makes it even easier for the rest of the world to follow her lead. Her optimistic attitude toward life allows me to practice some of the same optimism. Even though Teresa is in Montana and I am in Washington, I think about her constantly and how distance doesn't matter because I don't have to be in the same room as Teresa to smile. Although it is generally preferred. As I was running, I thought about Teresa's perseverance throughout her college soccer career. She was D-1 by the way. I think that means she is phenomenal. No matter how stressful or difficult things got, I always heard a "bright side" tone in Teresa's voice. Can't argue with that. There always is a bright side. Sometimes patience is necessary to see it, but it shines through eventually. I knew as I ran that there would be a bright side and smiling was necessary. Perseverance is vital in order to achieve what you want. Maybe I want to become a professional blogger. Maybe I want to find an internship this week. Maybe I want to be close to my family. Maybe I want to get through a single day. Maybe I just want to run this marathon. Nothing will happen without perseverance. Nothing will happen without a smile on my face. Nothing will happen without Teresa as a friend. Life would be so frowny. 

           Best, 
                   Anne



No comments: