Tuesday, September 28, 2010

How I learned...

How has it been over a year since I ran the Bellingham Bay Marathon? Last year, September 27th was a monumental day for me. I tracked  my experiences throughout training on this blog, as many of you painfully remember. To be honest, it's easy to write about because I always found a story from a run or else I had plenty of time to think while running those seventeen milers. Everyone has their courageous goals. Some people make a point to go bungee jumping or skydiving before they die. I do not have any desire to those things, but I find them to be incredible and brave in their own nature. The marathon was my skydiving. This brings me to my main point: How I learned to love running.

I didn't give myself much choice. I thought a half-marathon was a good start without being in cross country or on the track team. Dream big, right? With a training plan that was organized for me and a daily run to accomplish, I was not extremely scared. I looked forward to a run, but I also enjoyed checking the run off my list after it was completed. Satisfaction, mostly.

Paying for a race before you start the training is incentive to get your money's worth. Quitting never crossed my mind for the half-marathon. I signed up, paid, and was ready to work. It was in that training I learned the work wasn't only work. It made me feel good and I discovered taking that time by myself to run, get out, and clear my head was the best remedy for day-to-day life.

It wasn't just the lengthier runs that made me feel happier. Even if I ran three miles, I'd be in a good mood. There is nothing like stepping into your doorway knowing you pushed yourself to move your feet a little. Sure, there were times when sitting on the couch or napping sounded infinitely better than running for awhile but it's known that the hardest step is the step out the door. It couldn't be more true. If that's the hardest step, at least it's over before the run begins!

I surprised myself and found ambitions I never knew I had growing up. I suppose that's why it's called "growing up". When I signed up for the marathon in Bellingham, I had not even completed the half! Uh-oh! I learned that it didn't matter what happened in the half marathon because it was already set in my mind to run a full marathon. Great. Since when did I start thinking this way? It's like signing up for grad school before going to college. Who does that? (okay maybe not totally the same, but that's just what came to my mind)

I formed a love/hate relationship for the hills in Bellingham. I knew they'd push me to work harder but sometimes I just wanted to cry looking in front of me. Even still, the four months of training allowed me to see that running can be challenging and painful (feeling sore) but the rewards will always outweigh those challenges. Besides, why would it be fun if it was simple and boring?

My marathon post sums up my exact thoughts that day.
This winter I had to make a video about myself. This is what I chose to do.

If you take a day off or a month off, running comes back to you so easily which is why I love it. I learned to love hearing my breath as I chugged along. I learned to love capturing all aspects of the settings I run through. I learned to love the convenience of running at any time in the year (layers, people). I learned to love the time I could allow my mind to wander. I learned to love that hard work does in fact produce results. I learned to love finding the perfect routes to take. I learned to love not finding a route and ending up wherever I pleased. I learned to love that running is timeless. I learned to love talking to others about running and being inspired by the pros. I learned to love running for good, clean (unless it's raining) fun. I learned to love that I found something to love.



         Best,
                Anne

No comments: