Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's almost here.

It's in the air folks. That rubbery scent mixed with different chemicals and that fuzzy outer layer that makes a tennis ball's smell so distinct. The U.S. Open is inches away and I am excited and intrigued. So much has happened this year, and it all started with "Nocturnal Week" in Australia, as my brother John likes to describe it. The most intense match I have seen happened between Federer and Nadal. I know it might not have been quite as exceptional as last year's Wimbledon, but I did not witness that match in it's entirety. As I said, this was the most intense match I have seen. There is nothing more satisfying than watching a five setter between two greats at two in the morning. In addition to a fierce match, one of my favorites, Nadal, was the grand champion. Starting off well. Moving on to Roland Garros and the infamous clay courts. Nadal's specialty right? Not this year, Rafa. The King of the Clay courts was ousted by Robin Soderling who continued on to the finals to play Roger Federer. There was endless chatter about this match because if Federer won, this would make him one of six to ever win all four Grand Slams and tie the King of Swings, Peter Sampras with 14 slams. An immaculate honor, I must admit. With ease, Federer pulled it off. Who doubted it, though? I certainly wouldn't place my money on 23rd-ranked Soderling. Okay Roger, you are incredible...we understand. Luckily tennis fans near and far do not have stay on hold for long because Wimbledon is practically a day after the French Open. Alright, not quite but it surfaces in no time. Speaking of surfaces, it's time for the spongey texture of the grass beneath their feet. Strawberries and Cream? Don't mind if I do! Here's a fun fact that might make your taste buds crave a fresh, juicy strawberry. 27,000 kilos and 7,000 litres of strawberries and cream respectively are eaten at the Championship. Do not worry about the kilos and litres, those Brits know what they're doing. Now, Wimbledon was one of the more fun tournaments this year. Nadal was unable to compete do to knee problems. I'm sure it was devestating for him, but did he ever consider my feelings? It is refreshing for an "underdog" to do well. Andy Roddick is an respectable player but has been out of the picture for awhile. Losing fifteen pounds was the ticket! His quick moves and audacity showed he could give Mr. Federer a run for his money and a run for breaking yet another record and winning the most Grand Slams ever. If I could describe the match in one word, it would be: Epic. Over four hours and a 30 game final set, Federer broke Andy Roddick for the first time all match. Unfortunately that was enough to reign Champion and setting the record for being the most unbelievable player to ever grace God's green earth, or maybe just setting the record for most victorious Grand Slams. Well done. July 23rd was a doubly-special day for Roger and his wife Mirka. Mirka gave birth to the next doubles team and most likely, record setting girls. Even though they aren't holding rackets yet, they will undoubtedly shine with the tennis genes they were given. Does Federer need to stumble upon a winning lottery ticket to be the cherry on top of the sundae? This man has everything and more. With the U.S. Open in our midst, I'm sure most tennis fans are expecting Roger. Understandable. Just don't rule out those that also work hard and are overshadowed by such a brilliant and talented man. I'm rooting for Andy Roddick. He'll give it his all and I hope to see him succeed. Not only are all the talented players itching to play, the promise of night matches under the lights are going to bring out the best in each man. Cannot wait. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I am not as impacted by the women who play tennis so that could be the reason I waited until the last minute to mention them. Good luck to them too, I suppose.

Best,
Anne

No comments: