Friday, August 21, 2009

The Dogs are Barking

3 hours, 19 miles, and a shower later, I'm done. The conditions started out with a steady, misty rain. I did not mind the rain because I ceaselessly checked the hour by hour weather forecast last night and again this morning and knew it was supposed to stop. Sure enough, it slowed down just as I was startled by three deer about four feet from the sidewalk I had been stomping on. I always see deer and have been getting used to it but this time was nerve-racking and probably comical to the garbage truck that passed me, but the antlered friends weren't the only ones with the deer in headlights look. My run-in (get it?) with the deer happened within the first two miles of my journey. I knew it was going to be just that kind of morning so I continued on and the rain stopped and picked up again in full force. I think it's a nice change of pace (get it?) when it starts to rain. The intensity builds up and the cool, freshness of the rain is positively exhilarating. Those final miles were quite tough, which is to be expected but as I was nearing my last five minutes, I ran by a college student's garage sale. There were three girls that were sitting with a tired look on their faces as if they had never seen what nine a.m. looked like and one of the girls said to me "You can do it, keep on truckin". Well I did just that! A few words of encouragement helped my aching body make it that last bit. Now I must mention that I am supremely jealous of people whose second toe is shorter than their big toe. I like to call them, "Normal People". I, however, have been...blessed...with a longer toe neighboring my big toe which hurts more than anything after these long runs. My feet are pummelling on the pavement and heading downhill is certainly not as easy on the body as you may think. Topping off my battered and blistered toes, I was ready to shower and stubbed my unfortunately long second toe on the step in my bathroom. Yes, I do have a step in my bathroom. So that was a fantastic way to cap off my morning. As for the rest of the weekend? Free for relaxation and I cannot wait! Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

Best,
Anne

No comments: