Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Pleased to meet you.

Before I began the school year I gathered that I would have to introduce myself many times to many people. Introductions are bound to happen anytime, anywhere. At times it can be difficult to remember a person's name just seconds after he or she has recited it, but I usually just wait until I hear someone else call out the name in that sort of scenario. Yes, introductions are pretty basic in our society but somehow they are quite important...or so we're told. I have managed to introduce myself to dozens of people so far but have faced a hindrance during this important process of meeting a person. Don't blame me yet...

Anne. Short and simple. Even shorter if you spell it incorrectly. I need to state my hypothesis here. When introducing yourself, adding "I'm" before your name may cause confusion to the person receiving the introduction. An example of this would be "What's your name?" In response, the other person would say "I'm Anne". This is a true example, by the way. It happened and has happened many times. Now, that doesn't seem difficult or confusing does it? No, it does not. I must assure you that my articulation does not falter as I say that either. That being said, when I do respond with "I'm Anne", I have yet to meet a person who understands the complex separation between "I'm" and "Anne". I normally get the response that is hard to put into words because it would be better to hear the noise but it's a combination of the puzzled look with a furrowed brow and a "wait, what is it"? Other times it has just been "huh"? A girl in chemistry didn't even question it she just said, "Okay, Leanne!" Whoa whoa whoa. Since when is Anne a difficult name to comprehend? Are single syllable names outdated? Do I say "Anne as in Anne Frank" or "Anne like the Raggedy one"? I could understand if I included my last name and someone was unsure what I just said, but "I'm Anne" is just natural for me. My conclusion to this? The "I'm" has to go. I will just reply with "Anne" loud and clear. I'm sorry my name is not Jubilee like the girl in my Nutrition class in which case everyone thinks it is awesome so they don't question how she introduced herself. (It is awesome, by the way. Very cool!)
I'll have to settle for patience during introductions and remember that saying "I'm" will only get a disoriented look. I know what you are thinking, but a name tag would create even more puzzled looks. Not because of my name, but because I'm wearing a name tag in the first place.

Best,
Anne....like Anne of Green Gables.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This post had me laughing out loud at my desk. Love it!

Love, Alyssa