Sunday, October 4, 2009

"Friends, Romans, Countrymen..."


I took a double dose of procrastination today. As painfully daunting as Sunday is, I found myself distracted by millions of other things. It's very difficult to work around here. There are odds and ends that could keep me occupied (purely out of boredom) for hours. I figured it would be most beneficial to move the coffee table and clear an open space for all my papers and books I had to get to. Personally, it helps me! Stay tuned: Techniques for Improving Study Time and Feng Shui will be hitting your local bookstore soon! I normally go somewhere else to study or complete homework but it was just a different circumstances sort of day.
I woke up quite early this morning for I had much to do! First I began working for a couple hours on delightfully dull Anatomy. (It hasn't gotten interesting yet! And for as long as it runs me into the ground, it may never get interesting!) While I was working I ventured off into the land of wondering the origin of a phrase. I'm continuously telling people I'll "play it by ear" when it comes to plans or a decision that cannot be deciphered at the moment. Why do I say this? Not because I am being practical and waiting for further notice of availability but because there had to be a person who was smart enough to put that phrase to good use. I decided to slide the books aside and see what the internet would teach me. Well, I know I cannot believe everything I read on the internet but this makes sense. It turns out, the origin started back in Shakespeare's day. When he said "Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears", he wanted their attention from the functions in the ears that make them hear. Then, people used it to describe how great a person was at hearing music and being able to play such as a person being able to "play it by ear" after listening to music. "The saying has been taken yet another step further away from anything literal when people use it to mean doing something in an extempore way, without planning, according to circumstances as they arise. "(http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pla1.htm) I suppose I fall under that category considering I cannot listen to a song and use an(y) instrument to play it. Ah well. I love to learn about phrases. Is there a major for that?

Anyway, I worked on that blah blah blah and then I was able to take a break in order to see my dear friend, Teresa, play in a soccer match at the University of Washington! I had never been to the campus but my mom says "it's a beautiful campus. It looks out on Lake Washington" so I had to trust her judgment. She was right about that! The perfect fall day made me forget about all of my school woes and I just wanted to hang out there for the day. It was a fantastic afternoon away and always pleased to see a familiar smiling face!

I headed home and HAD to do a few things before looking at homework again. I mean, the laundry HAD to be done. The dinner HAD to be eaten. The blog HAD to be posted. Here I am now. Time to end this because, whoa, it has been an hour (things have interfered with the simple task of posting a blog!) so I must depart. Have a fabulous week. I will speak to you when I can. I simply cannot specify the time because I am not sure what will interfere with that. So, we'll have to play it by ear...

Best,

Anne


No comments: