Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oops...

It just sneaks up on you. When you are too busy to notice, or notice but make yourself busy. When you find a million other reasons to forget it. When you just get to the point where you stop and take a deep breath because you can no longer live your life this way. That, my friends, is when clutter wins the battle. For one reason or another, it is nearly impossible to keep your home, car, papers and more from accumulating with meaningless odds and ends. My problem is that I cannot find the time to get rid of some papers or vacuum for example. (Those are only examples because I don't want the entire blog to be taken up with my To-Do list. ) If I have the time, I tell myself things like "Just relax for a little bit" or "It doesn't get in my way, so I can clean it when I need to" or even "No one comes here...who cares!?" Well, of course I care but like I said, it's difficult to motivate myself when I come up with other things to occupy my time. I'll be honest, I would not let a soul into my apartment right now. Okay, that sounds alarming. It does not look so full of clutter that I could be on a tv show about Secret Lives of Clutterers or something but it's not...acceptable. I love a clean apartment. It feels so refreshing to be able to come home and admire the beauty of cleanliness. But it also feels refreshing to be able to come home and admire the beauty of my bed. It's an evil battle. One that will continue until the end of time. Henry David Thoreau (you may recognize his works from the game show Jeopardy! ) sums it up in one simply, but effective sentence: "Things do not change, we change". Why yes, that is true. A month ago I would have had all the time in the world to clean the apartment and appreciate the lack of mess. Now, school has taken over and changed my schedule. There is nothing I can do but surrender. I like to justify my ways of thinking, too. If I spent an hour cleaning the apartment, I could have taught myself how to decipher the specific geometric isomerism in rings. As much as I would rather clean the apartment than do that, I will benefit from the latter due to a lovely exam tomorrow. The cycle of justification continues day in and day out. Since I have successfully frightened you all and caused you to worry for my well being (and sanity), I urge you to rest easy. I will make every effort to clean up so that I can continue on until the next time I face this dilemma. "When life gives you dilemma's you make dilemonade."

Best,
Anne

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're idea of messy is probably my idea of clean. I spent the weekend cleaning and I am still not finished! Chill!
one of your uncles