Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Weigh

Running a marathon requires a great amount of endurance and diligence to train, but it also requires a lot of mental strength.  When my mental toughness is missing during a run, I feel like I cannot even run a mile.  As I decided a couple years ago to get into running long distances, I had to think about a number of factors.  Just because people that are 60 years older than I am and can run a marathon, doesn't mean that I can.  Playing tennis in high school doesn't prepare you for running four hours, but it does prepare you to be quick on your feet.  I knew that if I committed to it, I would complete it. There was nothing more to that.  So I did commit.  I did complete.  However, the biggest factor that will always follow me, no matter how many marathons I run is...my weight.

I have remained a similar weight for many years.  My metabolism runs at lightning speed, thanks to my mother.  I eat all day.  I have three meals and fill the rest of the time with snacks.  I've tried to tell my metabolism to calm down, but it's relentless.  It's a plus that I love food.  My body is the way it is and so are your bodies.  Everyone has their flaws and some things will never change.  

Several years ago, I had a conversation that has changed my thinking to this day.  I was asked if I had some sort of eating disorder.  After somewhat laughing at the thought of that question, I was deeply saddened, hurt, and then just angry.  I thought about my lifestyle and love of food and healthy living, but I was numb.  The effects of an eating disorder are dangerous.  I had a hard time seeing my life as any bit dangerous.  

Since then, I have carried that conversation in my head.  When I started to run more than I ever had, I knew that I needed to maintain my weight.  If you are unaware, the top runners in the world are sticks.  My wrist may be bigger than their legs, but my goodness, can they run!  I made sure that I would not let my body drastically change.  Mentally, I couldn't handle any more conversations.  I run because I love it.  I don't run to lose weight. I could never fuel myself on minimal amounts of food.  I have certainly gained a good amount of weight since I started because I eat enough to get me through the run and then eat more when I have completed the run.  My muscles in the thigh and calf regions are noticeably larger thanks to the hills of Bellingham.  So contrary to popular belief, running a lot doesn't mean that you have to lose 30 pounds.  Running does mean, for me, that I enjoy staying active.  I enjoy following a healthy lifestyle most of the time, but gosh, no one is perfect!  While my goals have always been to complete marathons, I have also had goals to remain a similar weight because no matter what, I was built the way I was built.  Every thing that happens when I'm not running will only strengthen my mental toughness when I am. 

         Best, 
                Anne

All I ask is that you stay healthy.  Eat fruits and vegetables.  Drink water like it's going out of style.  Set your goals high.  Only be serious when it's necessary. 

No comments: