Thursday, September 8, 2011

Care-port

I love airports.


Let me break my love down for you. (that sounds like a lyric or something brilliant!...kidding, but seriously!)

Airports are the base of all incoming and outgoing flights. The amount of culture that trickles into an airport each day is overwhelmingly beautiful. Hugs to say goodbye. Hugs to say hello. Tears of joy. Tears of sadness. People are working. People are bored. People are angry from flight delays and full body scans. People are sleeping. People are talking. People are everywhere. Each person has their own story. How did they arrive at the airport? Are they going on vacation? Are they working? Are they surprising their loved ones? Is this their first time on an airplane? The questions are endless. I think about this every single time I am in an airport. If it wasn't thought of as crossing a personal boundary line, I would go up to people and say, "what's your story?" Instead I sit in silence. Do other people notice the calmness amongst the hustle and bustle of the airport? I want to mute every sound and watch as people come and go. When I see someone smiling and running to hug their family, I grin for them. When I see someone walk through the airport with tears gliding down their cheeks, my heart breaks for them. Airports provide so much hope in my heart. I hope that people arrive safely. I hope that no matter their reason of travel, they will see the ones they love shortly. I hope that I will meet my husband on the flight I will be boarding. I hope that people see more than the security line waits, the gate changes, the flight delays, and the expensive food. We are all trying to get to a destination but sometimes you have to be patient. Soak in the airport (just not on your feet as you stupidly, I mean, accidentally wore flip-flops and have to walk on the floor with bare feet to go through security where the germs like to hang out).
Hugs to say goodbye.
     Best,
           Anne

No comments: