Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cancer Contemplation

This movie is coming out on Friday.  Have you heard of it?  When I first saw the movie poster, I was a little skeptical.  Portraying a cancer patient in such a fragile state with, um, Seth Rogen in the background did not sit well with me at first.  I have since looked into what this movie is about and told myself not to judge it by the poster.  The movie is based on a true story of a man who was diagnosed with cancer and depicts his struggles in a comedic way.  Still, I needed more assurance.  Today, I watched the cast discuss the movie on Anderson (is anyone else thrilled that Anderson Cooper, my favorite dreamy silver fox, has a talk show this year? ps--I don't care what you say).  The man whom the story was based on was also there and verified the need for laughter throughout the cancer journey.  

As an intern in a cancer education center, I have seen the effects of cancer on a daily basis. Some early in the game and some late.  Cancer is a major part of my life, even though I am not the one dealing with it. Cancer affects nearly every person whether it's a family member or a friend or an acquaintance.  To be honest, since working in the setting, I've had multiple, detailed dreams about getting cancer.  So naturally I have thought about the scenario in real life and concluded a few things.  You can plan to get married.  You can plan to have children.  You can plan to live in a house with a backyard for barbecuing and croquet.  You can not plan for cancer.  No one plans to get cancer.  Isn't that so true of much of life?  The future is daunting just as much as it is exciting.  I'm not trying to bring such sad thoughts to you this evening.  I firmly believe God has something in store for each and every one of us.  Whatever you believe in, you have a path so unbeknownst to you or anyone you know.  It gives me a squirmy feeling in my stomach thinking about how much you can plan on and something can change in the blink of an eye.

Not all breast cancer patients are created equal. Not every patient has cancer in their family history. Not every lung cancer smokes a pack a day.

I have heard plenty of stories, all of which are unique to the individual.

I have seen them cry.

I have heard them laugh.

I have given them hugs.

I have listened to their worry.

I have acknowledged their hesitation.

I have found books to explain their hair loss to their children.

I have done nothing...compared to what they are going through.

Cancer is a part of life.  It just doesn't have to take over your life.  It does not have to define you.  I think that's a major point of the movie.  Sure, I haven't seen it...but I can take a guess, right?  I joke a lot.  I mean, a lot.  Mostly sarcasm with a joking flair.  However, I know there is a time to be funny and a time to be...boring serious.  I'm conscious of that, I promise.  I have a feeling this movie covers both aspects and I'm very eager to see that it does---at least I hope so.  Besides, this guy is still living!  To reiterate what he said today, laughter is really the best medicine...

...no prescription necessary.

      Best,
             Anne

No comments: