Monday, February 28, 2011

"Don't you ever crave a juicy burger?"

Do you know what I like? I like making decisions for myself. Knowing that an outcome, good or bad, formed because of my decision is a satisfying feeling. Sure, not every decision I make is a good one, but I realize that it was my own. I cannot blame you or you or even you. Nearly two years ago I decided to become a vegetarian. No one told me I should. No one said I should not. After living most of my life eating meat rather sparingly, I thought I'd take the plunge. People ask me why I'm a vegetarian whenever it is brought up in conversation. It's usually followed by, "don't you ever crave a juicy burger?" I answer the second question first. "Never." Then I try to explain the first part. I honestly have a number of reasons that are good for me and maybe not for you. I'm completely okay with that. You take care of yourself and I'll take care of myself. I have to warn you though, if you are ever in need, it would be my pleasure to take care of you. I have always been well taken care of on this earth so I thought I'd do my part and take care of the earth as much as I can. There is an abundance of land being used to raise animals and water used to grow grains and feed them is an extreme amount. We use over half the water in our country for livestock. Should I repeat that sentence? As a person with a passion for health, I know it is not an end goal. Health is the path you travel to reach your end goal. Reducing heart disease, cancer, and diabetes are all positive aspects of vegetarianism. I just think about the animals out there. I don't want them to suffer. I get sad just talking about it so I really think I'll leave you with that. Did you know you save the lives at least 100 animals a year by not eating them? I learned that one day. It helped reassure me of  my personal decision. So, my reasons may be environmental and they may be health benefits, and they may be because I do not want animals to suffer but I hardly think it's necessary to ask why I'm vegetarian. I certainly don't ask why people eat meat. After all, you may not be able to part with a juicy burger. I cannot blame you. We've gone over that.

            Best, 
                   Anne

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am fairly confident you never "craved a juicy burger" even when you did eat meat!

Anne said...

You know me so well. It's like we're related...

Alexe said...

yeah i was going to say the exact same thing. i've known you for a long time and i can't ever remember you eating a cheeseburger. ever. people are dumbos.

teresa said...

im glad cookies aren't meat. because then you probably wouldn't make them and you make the best cookies.

Unknown said...

I agree Teresa!! Annie you better not ever get crazy and give up sweets. I am not too worried about that.