Friday, February 4, 2011

The Steelers Stigma

Let's get one thing straight. I love the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'd like to thank my dad for instilling a love for a team that is actually quite fantastic. I still remember the days of Kordell Stewart #10(okay, they probably weren't that long ago, but long enough for my lifetime!) and wish I could make my way back to Pittsburgh to visit such a beautiful and unique city. Now my dad never told me I had to cheer for the Steelers (I just wouldn't be loved anymore if I didn't) so there was some sort of incentive, I guess. Just kidding, of course. I grew up surrounded by the appreciation for the Steelers so I began to appreciate them as well. I appreciate the fact that they have the most Super Bowl titles and am certainly rooting for one more on Sunday. I believe in seven. Why not? Mike Tomlin is doing great things with this team. I, for one, am impressed. 

Now I'm getting extremely tired of this Steelers stigma. Everyone time I talk about the Steelers or tell people I like them, I hold my breath while I wait for them to crack some Roethlisberger comment. How many times do I have to say I cheer for the team of talent and not root for the man who has done horrible things? Can I talk about how I'm in love with Troy Polamalu and his dynamite defense or luscious locks? He is my favorite, not Big Ben. How about Rashard Mendenhall? Pouncey? Wallace? Ward? Such a dynamic team that deserves every win they've gotten. Remember Tiger Woods? Do you stop watching golf because one player did something horrible? No, you cheer for Phil Mickelson and call it a day.

So here we are, friends. Two days from the Super Bowl with an incredible match-up of the Steelers versus the Packers. I guess I don't have to emphasize who I'm going to be pulling for anymore. Maybe the Steelers have the most wins. Maybe you want the underdog to win. Either way, let's hope for a good game because these are good football players. But if it's a question of who has the better head of hair, Polamalu takes Clay Matthews any day.

Is that so terrible?

         Best, 
                Anne

No comments: