Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I did not forget

I have not told you about the Chicago marathon yet.  I know it was so two weeks ago but I just never had a chance to fully explain that warm day in Chicago.  If you want the Sparknotes, please read and stop after this sentence: It was amazing!

Continuing on.  The marathon was on Sunday, October 9, 2011.  I had spent over a week before  the marathon soaking up the 70 degree days in Illinois and enjoying my time, as I knew I probably would not return for awhile.  As the days grew closer to the marathon, I found it extremely difficult to focus on anything other than running.  I read articles, found inspirational sayings, and imagined what the day would be like prior to the actual race day.  In my whimsical mind, everything was perfect.  I would practically fly through the air and cross the finish line with ease.  Dream big, right?  I think it's okay if our expectations exceed our reality sometimes because what's the point in waiting until your reality hits to know your capabilities?

The day before the marathon had arrived.  I went to the health expo at McCormick place with Melissa and Brad. The energy was flooding through my body.  Knowing that everyone you saw would be losing sleep and joining you for a few hours of running in the morning was inspirational.  People of every shape and size run marathons and it's nice to see the uniqueness that make up the 45,000 people coming together for one common goal: to run a marathon.  Run we shall.

The 5:00 a.m. alarm came before I knew it.  When the alarm went off, I bolted off the couch.  There is no time to even consider a snooze button.  I find I have similar thoughts when I have to catch an early morning flight.  Your heart beats in a different way when you are in need of getting somewhere.  Even still, I was tired but anxious.  Eventually Meliss and little Lucy emerged and we all walked to Grant Park to start the race.  I was nervous because the temperature was...pleasant.  It should not be pleasant at 6:15 a.m., it should be brisk and I should be shivering.  No luck.  The sky was beautifully dark blue and the sun was ready to rise.  I was ready to run.

Before I knew it, I was packed in with the other runners.  I wondered where they were from and when they woke up.  I wondered if this was their first marathon or fifth.  I wondered if we would all get that free beer at the end.  I wondered if--"oh, we're moving!"

The race began and I was smiling from ear to ear.  The cheers were echoing throughout the city.  I was sort of in awe...I had talked to my family about staying on the right side because it's nearly impossible to find anyone if you aren't looking.  Even when I was looking, I was in another world so it was hard to put faces to family members.  My family was waiting around mile 4 but I did not see them.  They claim they saw me but, I just don't know about that.  Just kidding.

I still was not lacking any people to cheer for me.  I wore my "Beat Cancer" shirt that, yes, I purchased freshman year at the University of Iowa, but I still wear it all the time.  Since it was Breast Cancer Awareness month and I wasn't running for Susan G. Komen, I wanted to wear the shirt.  At least 15 people yelled "Beat Cancer!!" at me while I was running.  I gave them a smile and a thumbs up (you don't think about what you are doing when you are running...hence the thumbs up...)

I read signs, looked at costumes, glared at people drinking mimosas, and gazed at the beautiful city.  I felt lucky.  I felt overwhelmed.  I felt ecstatic.








I felt loved.

Check out my moments that were captured during the race: Own Chicago
   
      Best,
              Anne

No comments: