Monday, March 21, 2011

March (this is pretty)Badness.

There's no other way to describe my morning than saying it sucked. After days of rest and being anxious to run again, I set out for my 20-miler. I was extremely slow to start but so happy to be out there. It was cloudy but the temperature was just to my liking. I had an awful feeling that my foot would start hurting and no matter how hard I tried to think about something else, it always came back to my foot. I found any soft surface or gravel to run on instead of the pavement. Unfortunately that is hard to come by around here so the pavement it was! Then I thought about my form. Was I hitting the wrong part of my foot as I ran? It's hard to tell. Whenever you think about your next step it always seems more awkward than normal. Even still, I continued on. Past the lake. Through downtown. Toward the high school. It was at 10 miles that I called it quits. I wanted to be sick. Tears found a home on the bottom lid of my eye. Forget the rest of my failed runs. This took the cake. I knew it was time to get x-rays. I took a quick shower and my mom took me to the immediate care center. After the doctor told me how inflamed my foot was and that it was hot to touch, I knew this was going great. She asked me when I ran last. Um, an hour ago... She asked me on a scale of 1-10 how bad the pain was. Um, my 8 could be your 3. What a silly question. Just kidding... 7. Then she sent me to get my x-rays, gave me a snazzy shoe, and told me about my plantar fasciitis. She asked if I had any questions? Yes, when do you think I will be able to run next? She told me that with all of my stretching exercises, it could be as soon as tomorrow (yeah riiiight) or a few weeks. Thanks for the time span, Patricia. Since I clearly haven't been getting better for many days, I doubt it will be tomorrow. I doubt it will be this week. I'm going to work on my stretches like you wouldn't believe! My current plan is to try the 20 again when I get back to Washington. Time is dwindling. If I can't complete that, I'll throw in the towel. It's extremely simple to just say I'm going to sit this one out but the thought of it makes me sick to my stomach. What more can I say? It just sucks. 

My pop can exercises. Anyone thirsty?
 Plantar Fashionitis
Stupid papers. 

Today's Dedication: Melissa and Brad (and Lucy)
It has been a long time coming but I knew I'd have some special people on my mind during this run. Melissa and Brad are getting married in FIVE days! I have to make this brief and sort of all over the place because it can't sound completely like a maid of honor speech. As I ran, I thought about how this year has flown by and no matter what has happened, time hasn't stopped and they have almost reached the big day. I constantly think about how fortunate and lucky you both are to share the rest of your life together! I can't think of two people who are more kind-hearted and fun to be around.  I also thought about how I want to rest my foot to dance all night on their big day. It's incredible how essential a foot can be. I really miss them when I am far away but I know that Meliss and Brad take care of each other. After all, it's only just the beginning. I know that no matter how far I separate myself from my sister and Brad and Lucy, I'll always come back to beautiful smiles and lots of laughs. Isn't that what life is all about? The smiles and laughs, not the separating myself from the people I love. 

            Best, 
                   Anne

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOVE YOU! Hope your foot feels better and the dedication was so sweet. You are the best.