Tuesday, December 22, 2009

FedExcellent


I decided to read a magazine today while I worked out. I don't do that often but it seemed to be that sort of day. I grabbed January's issue of "O" magazine. I've only read the magazine once in my life (when Ellen was the second person in history to share the cover. Obviously) I thought I'd give it a shot but believe me, I will not be making it a regular thing. As I was reading I flipped and skimmed through the articles about the new year and how to make it great for yourself, etc. I reached a blurb that I found both fascinating and brilliant. It explained that an Australian based company allows their employees to take a "FedEx" day. During this day, an employee needs to do something other than work. It doesn't matter they can have their choice but at the end of the day, they must have completed something. The guidelines were clearly not specific but if they took a day off to garden, they should have flowers or vegetables planted by the end of the day. Another important factor, the employees had to make sure they laughed during the day. I think those Aussies are on to something! What a perfectly simple idea. Have a productive day that doesn't incorporate work related issues but is not wasted at the same time. What about actual FedEx workers? They have FedEx days every single day. Is it a bit redundant? Perhaps they could take a "UPS" priority day and but it can actually last for 3-4 days. Just a suggestion. I'm sure there are some kinks that need to be worked out. I hope the bosses don't have a tracking number that can track where their employees are during that day...

So, with all of the hopes and anticipation for the new year, maybe you can think about taking a "FedEx" day every once and awhile. It couldn't hurt, right? We have to stay sane one way or another. Otherwise we may FedExplode.

Best,
Anne

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this is a glorious idea! I will be taking 5 FedEx days before the year ends. Although my "completing" something may not necessarily be productive in the eyes of the Aussies :)