Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Répondez S'il Vous Plaît

image via Pinterest

I try not to spend money carelessly.  Really, I do.  But I have one major weakness...greeting cards.  I think I've mentioned this on the blog before, but the weakness has not wavered.  When I see the rows and rows of cards labeled "Funny", or "Thinking of you", or "Friend", or "Just because", or "[insert any holiday]", I am a complete mess.  A mess in the best way possible.  I don't believe in sending cards for a specific reason.  Sure, I love birthday cards, but that's just when I know there is a birthday coming up.  Most often, I find cards that I cannot wait to send for no reason at all!  I'm a sucker for anything that makes me laugh.  Well, that was a silly sentence. Who doesn't love to laugh?  I also enjoy inappropriate jokes on the cards.  Okay okay, don't judge me.  They can't be that inappropriate if they made it on the card!  Whew.  Tough crowd.  Just kidding!  I have no idea what kind of reaction you had.

Anyway, let's get right to it.  Cards can be pricey.  Especially the cards I prefer...and by pricey I mean more than three dollars and probably (hopefully) less than five.  So it adds up.  Except, here is my argument.  I never keep a single card.  I always send them.  I immediately have someone in mind when I read a card.  To me, I'd rather spend money on cards for others so that for one brief moment, they can have a smile on their face because of a funny or cute card.  Granted, I'm not sending cards to people who are sad and I'm not implying that this is their only joy (the cards aren't that miraculous!), but there are few things more exciting to me than writing a little note, addressing a card, placing a stamp on it, sending it out, and calculating the possible day it could arrive.  The things that make me happy are not always extravagant...sometimes they are just made from recycled paper and are sealed in an envelope with an x and an o.
image via googleimages
          Best,
                 Anne

2 comments:

Tess said...

I'm obsessed with cards too. If I have free time, I love to just plant myself in a Papyrus and read the aisles of cards for hours.

AND I love that card image that you posted.

Anne said...

Oh yes, it's dangerous in Papyrus!! I love it though! : )