Monday, February 6, 2012

Countdown time

Yesterday started the month long countdown to the Napa Valley Marathon.  I know it sounds redundant, but I cannot believe how fast this time is flying by when I am absolutely nowhere near where I should be in terms of training.  Running has not been my priority and to be honest, it never should be.  However, I really need to get a move on.  I have my 20 miler before I taper off until the marathon.  It's no walk in the park.

Recently, the Bank of America Chicago Marathon registration opened.  They have had an overwhelming amount of participants signing up and will be closing registration today.  I believe they cap it at 45,000 runners.  (Yes, there are that many people who like running marathons).  The Chicago marathon was certainly my favorite race in which I have ever participated.  I had my friends and family cheering me on,  the adrenaline to keep me moving, and what seemed like millions of cheering strangers.  I'll never fully be able to express my appreciation and happiness and exhaustion that went along with running that marathon.  Needless to say, I will not be running the Chicago marathon this year.  In fact, Napa will be my final marathon for 2012.  I want to focus on other forms of exercise.  Cheaper exercise, too.  Marathons can be extremely pricey (especially when you choose to/have to fly to them!).  Now, I know that I could choose to run every Seattle marathon and save some money, but certainly the money is not the only aspect.  I'd like to save and spend my money on other things.  The main reason is that I need to give my body a break.  I may run small races, but nothing to the marathon extent.  I can tell you are thinking in the back of your mind "we've heard this story from her before" and you are partially right.  I was quoted saying I'd never run a marathon again after my first, but I won't be saying I will never run a marathon again.  Who honestly knows?  It's just time for a marathon break.

BUT!  That break begins on March 5, 2012!  I have some running business to take care of first.  So for now, I have Napa on the mind.  And gosh, that cannot be a bad thing.

Have a great week!  I'll see you over the weekend.

         Best,
                Anne

No comments: