Saturday, October 9, 2010

I didn't mean to...

I'm good at keeping secrets when I have to, but this secret can most certainly be shared. I can't believe I haven't already shared it with you! I mean, it has been a year...Alright, alright. I have the BEST pasta salad recipe. I mean it, okay? Well, it's obviously not my own. I would not toot my own horn in such an extravagant way. This recipe comes from the Food Network Magazine from last October's issue. The article itself was called Marathon Meals which is fabulous. Basically, restaurants in the big marathon cities shared some of their delish recipes to fuel those crazy runners. The recipe I love is from San Antonio at Papouli's Greek Grill. It's a Mediterranean Pasta Salad. You had me at Mediterranean. I can't wait until the next time I'm in San Antonio to try this place! Or...the first time. That's neither here nor there. Let's get to it!

You need tri-color pasta. I don't accept beige pasta. The recipe states that you can use bow ties or fusilli, but Trader Joe's has tri-color radiatore which looks so much more fun than your typical bow tie. How bout NO-tie. Moving on...

Mediterranean Pasta Salad: 
Kosher Salt
1 pound tricolor pasta
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2-3 teaspoons dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper
2/3 to 3/4 cup EVOO
1/3 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
1/4 cup diced onion
2 large pickled pepperoncini
3 Tbsp. halved black olives
2 tsps. chopped fresh oregano
1 and 1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1 and 1/2 Tbsp. grated romano cheese

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente; drain, then rinse with cold water to cool. 
2. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette: Whisk the vinegar, mustard, 1 tsp of salt, and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in enough of the oil to make a smooth dressing; season with salt and pepper.
3. Combine the sun-dried tomatoes, basil, onion, pepperoncini, olives, and oregano in a bowl. Add the cooked pasta, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Add vinaigrette and both cheese. TOSS. Chill until ready to serve. Oh, the pasta needs to be chilled, too. Wah wah. 

*You can change this recipe to meet your hopes and desires. For me, I omit the olives. I hate olives. But, that's not to say you do as well! Add extra of anything or less of any ingredient. I just think you should try this though. It's so worth it. I could eat the entire 4-6 servings. I'm not exaggerating. 

Also, you don't have to run a marathon to eat it. I promise. 



         Best,
                  Anne

No comments: