Thursday, May 26, 2011

How NOT to run a marathon

Since the injury, my training for the Seattle Rock n' Roll Marathon has been...lacking.  Lacking lots of running.  Would you believe me if I said I haven't had time?  School has taken the lead and unfortunately, running has fallen behind.  I wish I had time.  Instead, I'm spending a few moments to say what you should not do when training.

  • Don't go a week without any form of workout because you will be panting on your quick 5-miler through the trails
  • Don't let sleep win every time-you definitely need to sleep but sometimes a run will have you feeling like a million bucks (until you crash at 2pm)
  • Don't forget the long runs.  The end of the training program is pretty long (26.2 mi) so...it would be advantageous to practice those
  • Don't forget to drink plenty of liquids-water, water, water
  • Don't let your glycogen stores deplete!  There is no time for that nonsense when training!  Don't fatigue!
  • Don't forget that running can be enjoyable, not necessarily something to dread
Thus far, I have completed two long runs (15 and 18 miles) and have one 20 miler before it's coasting time until the marathon.  Sometimes I forget that I have to train with all of my school and work (and some social) commitments getting in the way. At the end of the day, that's more important than running a personal record time.  I'm not trying to qualify for anything here.  While the marathon is roughly 4 weeks away, I'm confident that whatever happens in my training between now and then, I will be able to complete the marathon.  Survival is enough for me.  Enjoying my last two weeks of school is also enough for me.  (Stay tuned: Very long post about this wonderful school experience to come).

Gotta run!

          Best, 
                 Anne

No comments: